Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Beach Boys: Cape Cod Melody Tent - Hyannis, MA

We knew that we would likely hit traffic on the way to the Cape, so we left 2 hours before the concert began.  Good thing we did... Traffic was stop and go, especially over the bridge.

We made it to Hyannis with an hour to spare, so we stopped off at the nearby Cape Cod Brewery. As it turns out, that was perfect timing.

The atmosphere was that of a low-key cookout.  There were picnic tables and umbrellas set up in the courtyard. Music was playing, two separate Cornhole boards set up, and a food truck was selling hot dogs, homemade ice cream bars, and the kids' favorite: soft pretzels. For the adults, there was beer sampling of their five beers that are brewed on site, and included a souvenir Cape Cod glass.


When we went inside for a self-guided tour, we found not only a full gift shop but a vacant Foosball table. We had a lively family competition over several Foosball matches. It was such a fun and relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

We arrived at the concert about half an hour early, so plenty of time to park and find our seats. As we made our way to the entrance, we realized that there were not many kids in attendance!

When I first found out that The Beach Boys were coming to the South Shore, I knew we had to get tickets. They are Amanda's all time favorite band. She knows all of the albums, the songs, the lyrics and bits of fun trivia.

I purchased our tickets the day they went on sale, way back in the winter. I was 'assigned' five seats, but had no idea if the seats would be good or not. However, all seats at the Melody Tent are 50 feet or closer to the stage so you really can't lose.


As we walked into the venue, an usher gave each of the kids a colored lei and led us to our seats. I was surprised as we kept getting closer and closer to the stage....

As it turns out, I couldn't have selected better seats if I had looked at a seating chart.


We were in row 3 - about 10 feet from the stage!!! .

When the group walked down through the crowd to the stage, I thought it was just the crew warming up the instruments.  It took me a few seconds to realized that this WAS The Beach Boys.  There was only one original member with them that day: Mike Love. (He's the one pointing..)


Edit: Dave and I both looked this up, and learned that Bruce Johnston was also there. They talked about how he was the one who wrote I Write The Songs for Barry Manilow. 


The stage at the Melody Tent is just like the one at Cohasset's Music Circus. It rotates very slowly, so every few minutes, the band makes a rotation and you have a perfect view. At times, it felt like Mike Love was singing directly to us. He made eye contact with the kids a few times, and even waved to them. That made things pretty exciting.


Although it was absolutely sweltering inside of the giant tent, the kids were great sports and never complained. It was so much fun to look over at them in their seats...clapping and singing along.

Be True To Your School


I hope Eva was inspired after watching the drummer.


Sloop John B
 

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring (a capella)
This was originally done by The Four Freshmen, and one of the former members now plays guitar for The Beach Boys.



Help Me Rhonda


The final song of the night was Fun, Fun, Fun - the perfect way to end the show.

I lost track of how many times Amanda thanked us for taking her to the show. We have to thank Grandpa Clint and Grandma Reda as well, for this is how we chose to spend the Christmas money from them. 

I have to say, taking the whole family to this particular concert was money well-spent. I don't think the kids will ever forget their first concert, and this was something that the entire family thoroughly enjoyed. I'm happy to see that they share our appreciation of live music.

We made it out of the parking lot in record time, and headed north toward home. We stopped off in Kingston and had dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. 

Another great summer memory to add to our collection...

No comments: