In my teaching studio, our 2016 'Composer of the Year' is Mozart. We focus on learning his music throughout the year and then each student receives a Mozart statue at our formal recital in June.
This week, I prepared an extensive presentation about Mozart - his life, his works, etc. It was a lot of fun, and I included many anecdotes to hold the kids' interest.
After I had finished my regular teaching day, I called my kids into the studio so I could save some time and do the presentation just once for all three of them.
It is so different talking to my kids about music, because we have music playing nearly non-stop in the house and in the car. Much of the information I had prepared, they already knew...so I had to elaborate in more detail as I continued on.
I explained how Mozart could play a piece after only hearing it once, and showed them my favorite clip from 'Amadeus'. This is where Mozart is meeting the Emperor for the first time, and plays Salieri's piece after one hearing. While playing it for the first time, he critiques it and then improves it.
I couldn't help but notice how quiet Liam was during the entire presentation. The girls often interrupted and interjected stories, but Liam patiently sat and listened without saying a peep.
At the end, I played clips from some of Mozart's most famous works, and asked them to raise their hands if they recognized them. As their teacher, I was pleasantly surprised that they knew each and every one within seconds!
Once I was all finished, Amanda and Eva rushed away to brush their teeth.
As I tied up some loose ends with my lesson plans, Liam went to the digital piano and began playing the very piece Mozart played in the movie clip above.
I could not believe it. I literally stopped my pen from writing and turned to look.
Sure enough, he started on the right key, played the exact melody and the right rhythm.
Now, I know he had never seen that movie clip before, or heard the piece - an obscure aria from The Marriage of Figaro.
Yet, he played it. After hearing it once!
I have often wondered if he might have perfect pitch... But at the very least, he has an excellent ear. He is able to play music easily by ear, always going to the piano and picking out melodies. (I know he would much prefer to play piano that way rather than reading the notes.) He often tries to pick out Eva's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' music, or something from his Skylanders video games and he'll jeep at it until he has it correct.
What is amazing to me is that he always keeps it in the same key as the original. If he can do this at age 6, I can't wait to see what he'll be able to do as he gets older.
2 comments:
Liam has the gift that improves with each generation.
Pretty amazing talent! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment