Sunday, July 14, 2013

New Beginnings

The time has come for us to do something as far as the kids' rooms upstairs.  Time for a change!

Eva is moving out of her room, and into Amanda's room.  Liam is moving out of his room into Eva's old room.  And Liam's small room will now be the study room/craft room. 

We moved a table and bookcases into the study room.  Now it can be used for puzzles, drawing, writing books, or homework.  There's enough room (and an accessible outlet!) for a laptop and a lamp. There is also a large closet in that room, which will serve as storage for the kids' toys. 

I found two matching twin beds last week, so the girls will each be getting new beds.  At first, there were tears from both girls (at different times) about that, but they've come to terms with it and are now thoroughly excited about the change.  Thanks, Pinterest!  Once I started showing them pictures of other girls' rooms, the fire was lit under them.  They began designing their 'ideal bedroom' and mapping it all out. 


 Later that day, we went shopping for ideas. They had so much fun at the Christmas Tree Shop, working together and consulting each other.  We left without this pillow and rug...but they may use their own money to purchase them later.  Although Amanda has plans to sew matching pillows for them this summer.


We did come home with something fun: sparkly pink curtains, brightly colored paper lanterns and matching sheet sets. 

 

Today's job is to set up all of the beds.  We've gone through various scenarios, and have chosen one that makes sense to us - although it means LOTS of sleeping areas and very little playing areas.  However, as the girls getting older, they are playing with toys less and less.  The majority of the time, they are drawing or writing or some other creative thing. 

I even convinced them to go through the toy boxes with me yesterday, and figure out what to get rid of.  The clincher was that I told them they could keep the proceeds of anything they sold.  What do you know?  Someone came that afternoon and bought eight Barbie dolls for $15.  We put the money in an envelope labeled 'Yard Sale' and we'll continue to add to that and eventually figure out what to do with the money.  (I suggested a new swingset but I don't think Dave was quite on board with that idea. Yet.)

I love having a fresh start with the rooms and am hopeful that this will solve some of our space issues.




No comments: