1. Sanding, painting and hanging the old "rocking chair" swing
2. Sanding, staining and re-building the "new" swingset we bought for the kids
The kids and I sanded and repainted the rocking chair swing, and Dave hung that from the small grove of trees in the front of the house. The swing overlooks our neighbor's giant yard, straight out to the ocean. I am looking forward to some downtime there, even if it's just while I wait for the school bus to pull up at the end of the day.
As for the swingset, that wasn't quite as easy of a task. This is how the backyard looked on Saturday morning.... with the playground pieces strewn all about.
After a few hours, it became apparent that Dave would need more help than I could offer. Luckily a friend was able to come to the rescue and lend a hand, along with tools and music.
This is how it looked at 7:00 pm on Saturday evening.
Our friend Ryan even tested the rings to make sure it was sturdy. I think it passed.
Obviously we will need to get new chains and swings since they're old and rusty. We also need to install the wavy slide, put the roof on and re-stain it.
* *
After our work today, this is how it looked as of late Sunday afternoon - after completing the roof, installing the slide and starting the first coat of staining.
This beast should last the rest of the kids' childhoods.... it's never being moved again!
I think it will be the perfect combination of swingset and clubhouse. They're already talking about putting up curtains and other homey things. In fact, when I was staining the wood today, I already found a carpet
square that they had put in the upper entrance, and a broom! At least they have a place to call their own and
they're keeping things tidy.
No comments:
Post a Comment