Sunday, October 25, 2015

Our very own Fall Festival 2015

The kids are always asking to do craft and baking projects, but it's so hard to fit it all into our busy weekends. I decided to devote an entire day to those very things.

Introducing "Lindsay Fall Festival 2015...."

Day 1: Crafts and Baking

Project 1: collecting and painting acorns


This idea looked better on Pinterest.  I think we used the wrong kind of paint. Nonetheless, it kept the kids busy and they had a good time with it. 

Pinterest version:
 
Our version:


Project 2: Jack O'Lanterns




Project 3

While the kids were busy making their pumpkins, I pulled out my Mod Podge and some fabric leaves..and made this globe. I love how it turned out! 


Project 4:  Q-tip trees 


Again, this was a Pinterest craft so I was skeptical, but it turned out all right.

Pinterest version:
Our version:


Can you tell who created each one? We put Dave to the test and he only got one correct!

Baking project 1: Apple Strudel

The kids went across the street to the neighbors' house to pick apples and came back with a full tote bag. I decided to try making apple strudel for the first time. I had no idea how easy it was!


I made four and we delivered them to the neighbors as one of our Random Acts of Kindness. We all got a warm, fuzzy feeling as we walked away from each house. 

Baking project 2: Leaf Sugar cookies 

Two words: Pinterest fail.

Part of it was my fault because I thought we had a leaf cookie cutter. When I learned that we did not, a diamond was the closest shape I could find.

Pinterest version:

Second of all, the food coloring made the cookies look more like pastel Easter colors than the yellow, orange, red and green that we were going for. 

Ours ended up looking like pastel kites but I am told that they tasted fine. I guess these will be put into school lunches this week.

Our version:

Our final activity of the day was bobbing for apples. Truth be told, I was exhausted by this point and suggested we save it for another day...but that idea was met with great disappointment.


The event took all of ten minutes and resulted in a lot of laughter so I'm glad we made time for it.

Meanwhile, Dave spent the day working on his own projects. He put up an insulation divider in the basement where the bulkhead door is.

He also got the new wood stove all set up and going in the downstairs of the barn.

Now he will have a heated workshop for the winter, and we can continue to play darts year round!


Warm and cozy!


Finally, he worked on fixing the barn sliding doors and sealed the large gap at the bottom of them. Now the heat stays in and the cold stays out. 

The last photo of the weekend shows Dave's latest 'free find' from the side of the road.  

He now has a cozy man cave. (Pay no attention to the sawhorses and shelves of paint in the background.)

 Day 2: Halloween projects in the barn 

Dave had the idea to use his leftover scrap wood to create some Halloween silhouettes with the kids. Since I have three Costume Recitals here at the house, that sounded like a great idea to me...especially because I needed the day to prepare.

He first cut out some tombstones and Eva set to work with the electric sander, getting all of the edges smooth. Next they made bats and finally, the grand finale: a haunted house.

They all collaborated on the haunted house project, with each person drawing a sketch of their vision. In the end, Liam's design was the one that got chosen.



Ta Dah!!


Somehow the bats became mustaches when it was picture time...



Ready to add tombstones...


The tombstones that didn't make the cut were Ben Better and Anne Chovey.

Eva suggested Skella Tinn... We went with Izzy Dead and Ida Knoe.


Three bats, each with different eyes...yellow, red and a mix of both. (I realize the colors don't come through in this black and white photo so just take my word for it.)

Finally, the whole scene:


Torri sent me this enhanced photo of the kids, which I love. (They do too!) It has the perfect eerie feel.



Happy Halloween, everyone!











No comments: