Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Kevin!

Today is the birthday of one of my favorite old friends from my California days.

And by "old friends", I don't mean agewise! I mean it more like the "good 'ole friend" from several years ago. Make sense?

Anyhow, Kevin was one of my favorite adult piano students when I began teaching in Pleasant Hill, CA back in 2000. He was friendly, funny and genuinely enthusiastic about learning. Later on, I learned that he was generous, appreciative and very loyal to his close friends.

He was also incredibly honest. I can remember one time when he came to his lesson and sheepishly revealed that he had not practiced all week. Since he was my last lesson of the night (Tuesdays at 7:30 if I remember correctly?), he suggested we bag the lesson and just go out for Chinese food. His treat. Yes, I think he really felt that guilty... as if he owed me something. (Psst...Kevin? Most people just fake it and try their best. But thanks for the meal!)

Over the time I taught him, we became good friends. Perhaps part of it was because he was a Midwesterner like I was, having grown up in Chicago. I've noticed through my travels that I can spot "one of my kind" from a mile away, sometimes closer if they still have their accent. There is a sort of magnetism that draws you to each other and it feels comfortable. Whatever it was, I was grateful for it since I didn't have that many acquaintances when I first moved to the Bay Area.

Eventually Kevin broke the sad news to me that he was moving to Phoenix. I was bummed... Not only was I losing my student, but also my friend. Shortly after his move, I ended up moving to Massachusetts. And then he moved to Atlanta.

Through our respective moves, we have managed to stay in touch via email. Last summer he even managed to squeeze in a visit with our family while he was in town for a Stevie Nicks concert. It was the first time Dave had ever met Kevin, and they hit it off right away. Amanda, too, was immediately smitten by Kevin. (One could argue that it had something to do with the teddy bear and giant lollipops he brought, but I'm convinced she is just a good judge of character.)

During his visit last June, we had a wonderful tapas meal and our waitress was good enough to take a quick photo for us. This is the one and only photo I have of Kevin, but it's a good one.


Kevin, hope you have a smashing birthday! If you get up to our area again this summer, we'd all love to see you again and go out for dinner. This time, it's OUR treat.

1 comment:

Kev said...

Aw. Thank you for the kind post! What a great way to start the day. You are the younger sister I always wished I had. You mean tons to me! Hugs and love -
Kevin