Last night, it was chilly enough that I had to close all of the windows before going to bed. It was downright chilly!
When I flipped the calendars to October this morning and then stepped outside, it definitely felt like Fall had arrived! I even debated starting a wood fire in the barn. The cool, crisp air got me in the mood for some baking.
After breakfast, I asked the girls if they wanted to do a baking project with me. I didn't have to ask twice.
I scoured the internet and my cookbooks for some unique apple recipes, but ended up falling back on the old stand by: Best Ever Apple Crisp. Truth be told, I didn't have the energy or patience for anything more involved than that, but some friends came up with some good ideas, including baked apples and some scrumptious looking apple dumplings. We still have half a dozen apples left so we'll have to try these next time!
Amanda and Eva took turns measuring and mixing the ingredients, and then we popped it in the oven. As it baked, we talked about the different types and colors of apples and then made an apple-related craft.
Anything involving construction paper and glue is bound to be fun for them and this was no different. The girls tore red, green and yellow paper into little scraps which they then glued onto a blank apple picture to make a festive Fall mosaic.
Amanda commented that making mosaics was really fun, like coloring... but using paper instead of crayons and markers.
I think they turned out pretty well, don't you?
After they had finished their crafts, both Amanda and Eva (well, mostly Eva) were begging to taste some of the apple crisp. I served it warm with whipped cream on top.
After being quarantined in the house now for four days with two sick kids, I thought I'd be going stir crazy by now.
But I actually have to side with Amanda this time.
"Sick days are REALLY FUN!"
Nonetheless, I hope that we get back to normal soon. Being sick is the pits!




No comments:
Post a Comment