Saturday, October 24, 2009

Nor'easter + High Tide = EXCITEMENT

Last weekend they were predicting especially high waves due to the combination of an approaching Nor'easter and the lunar effect on the tides. (I probably don't have that terminology right... but hopefully I'm close with my explanation.)

Dave really wanted us to see the waves at high tide, so we packed the girls up in the minivan, made a quick stop for chicken McNuggets (as if we were buying popcorn to watch a movie) and headed down for the promised show.

We were not the only ones with such a curiosity. Cars and trucks were lined up all along the seawall to witness the excitement.

Once we had parked along the seawall, I immediately understood the term "Brant Rock Car Wash." The water was coming up over our car and splashing all the way across to the other side of the street. In the road, you could see debris like seawood and small pieces of wood that had been spit out of the ocean's ferocious waves.

It was pretty fascinating to witness the ocean in a "bad mood" as opposed to the many peaceful beach days we experienced this past summer.



Dave assured me that "this was nothing" but I was still impressed. Eva, however, was not. After just a few minutes, she complained that she was scared and wanted to go home.



Even though I have lived here for 6 years now, I still feel a sense of wide-eyed excitement and mystery toward this coastal lifestyle. I'm willing to bet I will never fully shed my "Farm Girl" skin...

No comments: