Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thankful

We received a reverse 911 phone call late Thursday night instructing us that we were under a "Boil Water Order" after two of the town's wells tested positive for high bacteria levels.

"The Town of Marshfield has ordered residents to boil their water before using it, after tests of water samples from two test wells found a high level of enterococci bacteria. Enterococci bacteria is an indicator of the possible presence of fecal matter, and when it is found in drinking water it poses a serious health risk."

There seemed to be conflicting reports as to whether our house fell into the affected area, as the map showed only the higher address numbers on our street as being in the "danger zone." Yet, we were told that if we received the phone call, we were affected.

Preferring to err on the side of caution, we avoided using water all day yesterday. It was not safe to use tap water for drinking, bathing/showering, or brushing teeth. (I found out about the showering part within minutes of the girls finishing their morning shower! Oops.)

As of now, the ban has not been lifted but our neighbor, a town employee, has assured us that our water is indeed safe. I am still a little leery and am continuing to use bottled water until we run out.

In any case it makes me appreciate how fortunate we are to have safe water. I cannot imagine people who have had to go days, weeks or months without clean, drinkable water.

Yesterday the girls made their annual "Thankful Turkeys." As they told me what they were thankful for, I contributed my own thought.

"I am thankful for clean water."


Amanda was thankful for:
- Water and sea creatures
- Carnivals
- Mama and Daddy, Eva and William
- My sister, Eva
- Katelynn, my best friend
- Trees and dresses

Eva was thankful for:
- Preschool. I love my teacher!
- All of my grandmas and grandpas
- Mama, Daddy, Amanda and Liam
- My fish, especially Stripes and Stripey
- My babysitters

No comments: