Each year we get our Christmas tree from the Kiwanis, who set up their lot just a short walk from our house. On the same grounds is our town's Community Christmas headquarters, so we decided to drop off a donation and select a tree all in one trip.
We think it's important for the girls to learn the importance of giving, especially during the holiday season. A few weeks ago, Amanda and her preschool class created a box of items through Operation Christmas Child, and she seemed to have grasped the concept. We would prefer to downplay the commercialism of Christmas, as it's far too easy for children to get wrapped up in the "I want this.. and this... and this" syndrome. I hope that we succeed in our goal!
Pulling the girls in their wagon, we delivered two bags of items to help a local family in need. We chose things that would be suitable for a family such as ours: infant clothes, shoes, baby food, some fancy children's lotion, a book, and a pair of hiking boots. (In hindsight, I realize that we completely neglected to donate anything for the mother of such a family!) We'll be making another trip in the next few weeks, so I will have another opportunity.
* *
As the girls sucked on their candy canes, we wandered through the lot looking for a tree that would fit in our price range. Am I the only one who thinks $70 for a Christmas tree is ridiculous??
For the past few years, Dave has dragged the tree home since it's only about a block or two away. But this year, one of the Kiwanis was nice enough to deliver it right to our house!
I'm looking forward to getting the lights on, and letting the girls assist in hanging the ornaments.
Trying to keep the little hands away from the tree in the upcoming weeks will probably prove to be challenging, but hopefully we'll get through the season with a minimum of broken ornaments.


2 comments:
I love the giving spirit of the season and it is a great lesson for the kids. Great mommy work Carrie! We put our tree up a few days back and already we have 6 broken ornaments and the kids have pulled the tree over once (resulting in 3 of the 6). I love having a tree but hate having to tell the kids 20 million times to stop touching it.
It's been years and years since we had a live tree - one day we will do that again! I too am trying to find ways to downplay the "me-me-mes" and encourage a spirit of giving!
Post a Comment