Ever since my first year of teaching, my piano students have surprised me with some incredibly generous gifts. More often than not, I feel embarrassed by these displays of appreciation. After all, they are already paying me a pretty good chunk of change for their private lessons! To then give a Christmas gift in addition to pricey tuition seems a bit extravagant.
Since I had my daughters, the gifts have extended to them! Seriously, who gives gifts to their piano teacher's children?!? It seems bizarre to me, and I can't help but feel a tad uncomfortable by the kind gesture.
Last Christmas, one of my students brought a Christmas book for Amanda and Eva... complete with music, twinkling lights, and a pop-up Christmas scene. This has become one of Eva's favorite books over the past month, and I seriously think we have read it at least 2-3 times per day.

It's a very cool book, and the kids love to sing along with the music as it plays.

In past years, the girls have received piggy banks, stuffed animals, and music CD's.
Today, it happened again.
One of my adult students showed up for her lesson with three gift bags... and no lesson materials! One of the gift bags was for me: some wonderfully aromatic hand soap and a jar of lavender bath salt scrub. It was very nice of her, and I was grateful for such a pampering gift!
Then she told me that the other gifts bags were for Amanda and Eva!
Since Amanda was in the next room playing, I let her come into my studio to accept her gift. And wouldn't you know it, that positively made her day. It was a sparkling silver princess crown, complete with pink blinking "jewels." Her eyes got all watery and my student commented,"I think she's going to cry!" You would have thought she'd just won a million dollars.
Eva was given a soft plush Beanie Baby puppy, which she will get later this afternoon after she gets home with Daddy. I'm sure she'll be just as excited as Amanda was.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am very grateful that my students respect and appreciate me. I want to be gracious and thankful, but I would honestly be content with a simple card expressing holiday greetings and words of appreciation. The gift giving that extends to my children is... well... it just makes me feel oddly uncomfortable.
Am I the only one who thinks this is strange? How would you handle this?

5 comments:
I don't know how I'd handle that. I think it's very cool and thoughtful of someone to gift give in triplicate like that but there is a strangeness to it.
I'm sure you were perfectly appreciative about it though.
I give it a thoughtful! ...but odd, rating.
But what about Dave???
It's a little out of the ordinary, but my guess is that this student really appreciates the hard work you put in as her instructor (above and beyond what most teachers would do, I'm sure). She probably is also someone who adores children and can't help herself when it comes to buying gifts for them. I can relate to that!
I can understand feeling awkward about it...but I also think it's very sweet and further proof of what an excellent teacher you are, and that your students can see your warm family life and want to be a part of that!
;jugu7fthxgfnvvjyfuchgv
Post a Comment