Friday, January 1, 2010

Flying Solo

Today was the first of my four days as a "single parent."

Dave left bright and early this morning, first picking up his brother and then driving down to North Carolina to help their father move to his new house in the hills of Tennessee. Because they were driving south, it looked like they would avoid the snowstorm that was predicted for our area. And with it being a holiday, the roads would most likely be clear and traffic-free for the 13 hour drive.

As it turns out, traffic was the least of their worries.

As of 7:30 am, the duo was already in Connecticut. By 9:45 am, they had made it to New York so they were clearly making good time and things were looking good.

However, around dusk, they realized that the car's headlights weren't working. After fiddling for an hour, they were unable to figure out the problem and had to check into a hotel in Virginia, a full four hours from their final destination. This means their traveling time is now limited to daylight hours only, unless they can somehow find an Audi dealership that is both open and able to fit the car in on a holiday weekend!

But on a more positive note, the girls and I had a fantastic day! We started the morning by making a lengthy list of fun activities that we could do while Daddy was away. And I am impressed with just how much we accomplished!

I am also surprised at how quickly the day flew by, probably because we were having such a good time! More than once, Amanda said,"I'm having so much fun, I don't even miss Daddy!"

Whew! Mission accomplished!

First we went shopping and bought an ottoman for the den. It will serve many purposes... a footstool for the couch, storage for all of the "quiet time toys", a seat to accommodate both kids at the computer and a surface for playing board games. That right there was enough to make it a good day in my book. You've gotta love a piece of multi-functional furniture!

We then did some light grocery shopping, and for a special treat, I let each of the girls choose their own box of cereal. Well, you would have thought it was Christmas all over again. Who knew such a simple thing could bring a child that much joy!? As we slowly made our way down the aisle of colorful boxes, I figured they'd each choose something with tons of sugar. But I was wrong. Special K with red berries for Eva and Berry Berry Kix for Amanda. Not too bad and they're actually cereals that I like too!

Finally, we stopped at a thrift store that I had never been to in hopes of finding some treasures. Once again, we scored big time: nice winter boots for both girls and 2 fuzzy blanket sleepers for the new baby for just $10.

After a lunch of leftover restaurant takeout from our New Year's Eve dinner, it was naptime for Eva and Quiet Time for Amanda. I used the time to wash all of the new baby's clothes and do a little more organizing. I think we've got all the rooms rearranged and figured out now and I'm feeling pretty prepared at this point. There's really not much left to do other than wait!

After the girls were sufficiently re-energized, we spent the rest of the daylight hours outside playing in the snow. We did some "snow-painting" with spray bottles and colored water, which was a big hit and loads of fun!


Then I pulled the girls around the yard in their sleds, both at the same time. What a workout that was! Probably not a great idea in hindsight because now my back is killing me, but the girls loved it.


And finally, we built our first snowman of the season. We used the traditional carrot for a nose and sticks for the arms, but were at a loss when it came to mouth and eyes material. Finally I went in and raided the forgotten Halloween candy that sits on top of the fridge, and found some jawbreakers and Hot Tamales. That did the trick, and actually the coloring melted right into the snow for a neat effect.


Amanda decided that the snowman might get lonely, so she quickly built a snowbaby. Pretty cute.



By the time our little snow family was finished, it was getting dark and time to go in for dinner. I decided on "breakfast for dinner": waffles with jam and freshly made whipped cream, smoked bacon, fresh pineapple and hot chocolate with marshmallows. How can you go wrong with that?

After teeth were brushed and the girls were in their comfy pj's, we snuggled on the couch, watched "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" and talked to Daddy on speakerphone. Bedtime was a cinch... not a single peep out of them after I blew the last kiss and left the room.

As for tomorrow and the next day, we still have plenty of fun options to choose from. The only definite plan we have is going to see "The Princess and the Frog" with one of Amanda's friends, followed by ice cream sundaes.

Other ideas we came up with:
- Making soap (from a kit courtesy of Uncle Josh and family)
- Painting a tea set (from a kit courtesy of Uncle Jared and family)
- Taking a bubble bath with the new Big Bird and Elmo bath gel from Santa
- Painting toenails (this is a HUGE deal, as Eva has never had hers done!)
- Making banana pudding parfaits
- Painting the Tinkerbell and Cinderella posters from Santa
- Making "books" out of magazine pictures
- Going to Build-a-Bear to use some Christmas gift cards (Again, something they've never done!)
- Making raspberry jello
- Making a trip to Babies R Us for last minute baby things (and letting each of the kids choose a special gift for the baby)
- Reading and playing with all of the other games, puzzles and toys from Christmas

I think it's going to be a fun weekend! Nonetheless, we will all be happy when Daddy is back home, safe and sound.

Follow-up:
Our "definite plan" of going to the movies has now been postponed until Sunday, due to the snow. We got more than they were predicting, so today looks like it will be a stay-at-home day.

No comments: