Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Montreal: Language Barrier


I am able to decipher a decent amount of the written French here, like road signs or menus, because the roots are very similar to Spanish. But hearing spoken French is another story completely.

Montreal is the largest French speaking city outside of France. However, if you don't happen to speak French, the people here seem more than willing to help out by switching to English, and they don't even look down upon you for not knowing their main language.

Each time someone here realizes that we can't understand French, they immediately flip a switch and begin speaking in perfect English. Every time this happens, I feel embarrassed. Why should they have to make this accommodation for us? If we're in their country, we should be prepared with a 'French to English dictionary' and stumble through to the best of our ability.

Most of the restaurants here have menus with a French side and an English side. If an English translation has not been provided, as was the case at our Jamaican restaurant on night #1, the waitress will politely and patiently describe each entree to you. I simply cannot imagine this happening in the U.S., or at least not in Massachusetts.

The other day at the park, a woman wearing a fanny pack type belt filled with sunscreen approached me and began speaking in French. I had absolutely no idea what she was asking. Did she need directions? Did she want to sell me something? Had we parked in an illegal zone?

Like a dummy, I simply said,"Umm, I don't speak French."

She just smiled and said in perfect English,"Did you remember to apply sunscreen today?"

To which I responded,"Yes, we're all covered." (Literally.) "Thank you."

(Ugh! I could have at least remembered to say "Merci!!!")

As it turns out, she was merely giving out free samples of sunscreen and coupons.

Also interesting is that they will accept either American or Canadian money. I can't imagine the U.S. taking Canadian money, even just across the border into Vermont!

Canada seems like such a smart and friendly place. So inviting and so accommodating. We could learn a thing or two from them.

No comments: