Friday, June 18, 2010

Our first night away

Tomorrow morning, Dave and I will wake up bright and early with the birds and head to New York City!

Our hotel is supposed to have great views of the city and the Queensboro Bridge.

We are attending a wedding in Queens and have decided to leave the girls with Omi. (Liam will be coming with us obviously, since I am his only source of nourishment.)

I am extremely eager for this short weekend getaway, a chance to get all dressed up for a night out on the town, and celebrate with friends. Ever since my one and only visit to NYC in November 2001, I have always wanted to see the city with Dave.

{Interestingly enough, Reid Stowe, the guy who had planned to spend 1,000 consecutive days at sea, just "landed" in NYC today. (If you haven't heard about this, you can catch up with the story on his travel log.) I have been following his mission with interest since I first heard about it three years ago. He crushed his original goal of 1,000 days by making it 1,152 days! Anyhow, they are having a big party for him this weekend at Pier 66.}

Our hotel, The Ravel, is only a mile from Central Park, and we are hoping to get into the city by noon and do some walking. It is also within a mile of Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, Carnegie Hall and several museums but unfortunately we will only have a few hours to spend before the evening wedding. If all we have time for is a nice lunch and a stroll in Central Park, that would be perfectly fine with me!

How strange it will be to only have one child with us. It will be almost like turning back time to when it was just Dave, Amanda and I. Same stroller, different child.

The girls have been looking forward to their "sleepover" with Omi for quite some time now. They have a menu planned, a birthday party to attend, and a movie picked out. I'm certain that popcorn, ice cream and swimming will also be somewhere on the itinerary. The really big thing is that they'll be sleeping downstairs (!!) on an airbed. Yes, both girls sleeping on the same airbed. Boy, if it's anything like getting them to sleep together in a hotel bed, I wish Omi luck.

Even though the girls are excited about their first sleepover, I am predicting a frantic phone call around 8-9 pm. One, but more likely both, girls will be in tears asking,"When are you coming home, Mama?"

One thing is for sure. I know I'll be just as eager to see them come Sunday.

No comments: