
We decided to make Saturday a family beach day. While I packed sunscreen, snacks, etc., Dave loaded the girls up in the bike stroller and they headed on their merry way. I drove on ahead with Liam to Burkes Beach in Green Harbor, hoping to find a prime parking spot.
It must have been my lucky day because not only did I get the very last spot in the lot, but it was the closest one to the beach. This was huge because parking in the overflow lot means an arduous walk of several blocks. With a baby, beach umbrellas, sand toys and all of the other necessary gear, it is quite a chore!
I staked out a spot on the deserted beach and waited for Dave and the girls to arrive. After a 40 minute bike ride, the girls came running down the boardwalk and across the sand, ready to have some fun.


What a perfect day! Plenty of sun, not too hot, and a slight breeze coming off the ocean. We forgot to bring a hat for Liam. Oops! But he looked just as cute wearing mine.

We all worked together and built a sand fort, which became a "swimming pool" once the tide came in.
Liam spent most of the day in the shade, playing with his toes and watching the activity around him. He's so easy to please!



At lunchtime, Dave took a walk with Liam to the Green Harbor Lobster Pound and came back with this treat.

For those of you not familiar with New England cuisine, this is a Lobster Roll. Think of tuna salad, but with lobster, piled high on a toasted hot dog bun. It's perfect for those who like lobster but don't want to deal with the messy task of digging the meat out of the shell.
Normally I am not particularly crazy of lobster rolls, mainly because of the $13 price, but this one was absolutely delicious! Then again, maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was eating it on a beach?
Around lunchtime a family with three children claimed the spot next to ours. The five year old girl, named Taylor, much to Amanda and Eva's delight, and her 3 year old twin brothers were perfect playmates for the girls.
They spent the next few hours together swimming, digging in the sand, blowing bubbles and sharing snacks.

These new found friends were absolutely obsessed with Liam and wouldn't leave him alone. They had a million questions for us... "Does he like to be tickled?" "What's his favorite food?" "Does he like oatmeal?" Of course, Liam was all smiles for them which made them like him that much more.
After five hours on the beach, we decided to leave while everyone was still in a good mood. The girls got back into the bike stroller and after a quick flat tire repair, they fell asleep on the ride home.
I would definitely call it our most successful and fun beach trip ever. The kids behaved perfectly and it was so relaxing for Dave and I to sit in our beach chairs and watch them play. I figured we'd only be at the beach for an hour, two hours tops, but they proved us wrong. I can't wait to do it all again!
I would definitely call it our most successful and fun beach trip ever. The kids behaved perfectly and it was so relaxing for Dave and I to sit in our beach chairs and watch them play. I figured we'd only be at the beach for an hour, two hours tops, but they proved us wrong. I can't wait to do it all again!



No comments:
Post a Comment