For some reason, this was a much bigger event than any other birthday. It was almost like a rite of passage for her, crossing over from "little girl" to "big girl."
Her day started with Daddy's homemade crepes, complete with four birthday candles. Typically he spreads jelly on the crepes, rolls them up and sprinkles powdered sugar on top. But not this time. Eva had specifically requested dried blueberries, raisins and cranberries for her birthday.

After a quick breakfast, we headed to swimming lessons and then returned home to open presents right before lunch.
She received lots of fun things, like some pretty dresses from Grandma Jo, a moon dough pizza making kit from Amanda, a Dinosaur Train Color Wonders set from Liam, and some books from Mama and Daddy. There were a few other little odds and ends thrown in, like a package of red pens and a composition notebook... both of which were purchased because Amanda is tired of Eva stealing hers. Oh, and a new boogie board for the beach - and one for Amanda as well, to avoid fighting over just one.
But the highlight of her birthday were these: Sketcher's Twinkle Toe sneakers.
I have unfortunately become one of those moms who does not keep up with current fashion trends. {gasp} Somehow both of the girls know that Twinkle Toes are all the rage amongst the young girls. They showed them to me at Kohl's one day and begged for them. I have yet to pay $40 for a pair of shoes for either of them, but the other day, I just happened to be in the shoe section and they were on clearance for a little under $30.I want to go back and see if they have any in Amanda's size, in anticipation of her birthday in August.
I commented to Dave that they actually seem to fit Eva's personality perfectly. Sneakers for her tomboy side, but bedazzled with all sorts of glitter and jewels for her "glamorous", dress-up side.
For dinner, I made Eva's special birthday request: tater tot casserole. (Her first choice was sushi, but since it was a teaching day for me, there was no time to make homemade sushi!!)
She picked out her own cake, an Oreo ice cream cake, and we all sang to her as she blew out all four candles in one try.

It's funny, but she actually does seem older since her birthday occurred. I guess there was just something magical about the number 4 for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment