I finished teaching my last lesson, rushed to make sure everyone had socks and shoes on their feet and bottles of cold water in their hands, and out the door we went.
Eva's race was the first of the night and she lined up with about 10 other girls at the start line for the 100 yard dash. Last year she was too shy to participate in the race, so I wasn't sure how it would go. Also, Dave was working late so I was flying solo, which made it difficult because I was torn about where to position myself. Should I stay with her at the starting line to encourage her... or should I stand at the finish line to congratulate her?
I decided to let Amanda stand with Eva and I slowly made my to the finish line, weaving through the crowd, pushing Liam in the stroller.
Eva lines up for her first race.The announcer blew his whistle and dropped his blue flag, signaling the start of the race. Amanda did a great job of cheering for Eva. Eva kept her eyes straight ahead of her, stayed in her lane and really ran her little heart out.
And she won!

After sending a few instant messages to Daddy to tell him the good news, we made our way back to the start line. After the young kids finished their heats of the 50 yard dash, it was time for the 100 yard dash. Again, the 3 year old girls ran first.
This time I made sure to position Liam and myself at the finish line and I waved and cheered as Eva ran toward me. (She's in the farthest lane to the left in the pink shorts and white tank top.
It was a photo finish between Eva and another little girl, who kept glancing over at Eva as she ran. In the end, they awarded Eva with the 2nd place ribbon and recorded her name to submit to next week's newspaper.
I think Eva was more excited about having her name in the paper than she was about getting the blue and red ribbons! I am so proud of Eva and glad that she received accolades for something. It's about time she comes out of Amanda's shadow and has something to boost her self esteem.

Well, she was not at all pleased that Eva won and she didn't. As she told Dave during the phone conversation on the way home,"I got two green ribbons. That means I didn't win."
We explained to her that everyone has different "special talents" and that you can't win everything. We reminded her of last week's successful recital, and also about her blue ribbon during her first race as a 4 year old. But she was still a bit pouty about the whole thing. It was a good lesson for her to learn though, and she will need to accept that fact that she can't be #1 at everything.

No comments:
Post a Comment