Monday, June 20, 2011

Like Father, Like Son

Liam loves to tinker with things and try to figure out how they work. He likes puzzles and anything that snaps, buckles or fastens.

He is very much like Dave in this way.

In fact, when Dave opened the 6-in-1 screwdriver set on Father's Day, Liam ran off with the screwdriver and walked all over the playroom, going from toy and toy and tinkering with them.

If he sees a child lock left unlocked, he will spot it immediately and try to snap the pieces together, unknowingly locking himself out.

If he walks past his high chair, he will buckle the belt - which is rather annoying because I have to take time to unbuckle it each and every time I go to put him in. The same goes for the stroller if it has been left outside.

He has recently learned how to crawl into the bike stroller and buckle his safety belt. That's pretty impressive because it's a tricky one!

And also, when I put him into his car seat, he immediately sets to work trying to buckle the seat belt.

Last week he watched me blow up his little baby pool... by mouth because I was too lazy to get the air compressor out of the shed. The next day when he was in the pool, I noticed him putting his mouth on the little plastic nozzle of the pool, imitating what he had seen me do.

One day, he got into the cupboard and pulled out the cord to my electric kettle. He then walked over to the outlet near the piano and tried to stick the big prong into the outlet! Guess I'll have to put a lock on THAT cabinet as well.

A few weeks ago, when he had gotten up at the break of dawn again, long before anyone else was awake, he found my car keys and tried to "unlock" my bedroom door. The door doesn't really lock, unless you have one of the old-fashioned skeleton keys. But he managed to get a key into the lock and open the door.



One evening as we all played in his bedroom, he worked diligently and ever so patiently, trying to hook a toy car up to Big Bird's tow truck. I stopped the video off after a minute, but he kept up with his efforts long past the end of this video clip.



It is so much fun to watch him learn all of these new things. You can almost see the wheels spinning in his little brain. The really fun thing is to take videos of him, and let him watch them on my iPhone. I'm pretty sure he doesn't realize he's watching himself, but he watches with a very intense look on his face as if he's saying,"What in the world is that kid doing?"

He will be 17 months old in a few days, edging closer and closer to his second birthday. His whole world will be unlocked soon, I have a feeling.

No comments: