Saturday, October 8, 2011

Book Borrow

This morning I left the house early in search of bargains at one of the seasonal consignment sales in our area. Dave stayed home with the kids, which allowed me a few much-needed hours of freedom.

When I returned home, this is what I saw.


According to Dave, Amanda and Eva had worked all morning setting up a "Book Borrow" stand in the front yard. They had blankets, pillows, and an umbrella all set up. The best part was their homemade sign, made of several pieces of paper, taped together and attached to a large branch.


I asked Amanda what a Book Borrow was. She told me that people could come into the barn to browse through her books, and take some home to borrow. Similar to a lemonade stand, I suppose, except no money was being exchanged. They even had a pretty gift bag ready and waiting, so their "customer" could tote their books home with them.

I love the arrow pointing "That way. Come now please."
(Click to enlarge.)

You would not believe how enthusiastic she and Eva were about their idea! They stood out there in the yard for a very long time.

Unfortunately they were set up a good 40 feet back from the road, so it wasn't even possible for passing cars to READ their sign, much less even notice them standing out there. But they were troopers.


After a while, Amanda quietly asked,"Mama, why isn't anyone coming?"

I felt horrible. My heart absolutely ached for her. She was so disappointed to have gone to all of that work and have no one pull into the driveway. It made me sad and I didn't know what to tell her.

Luckily I was able to distract her with something later and I reluctantly took down her display. But I kept the sign, propped up behind the barn, simply because I didn't have the heart to throw it away.

(On a side note, a few days ago, Amanda told me that she wanted to be a Librarian when she grows up, so she can "stamp all of the books." So I guess this is just an extension of her wish. I admire her creativity and passion for books. I hope her lack of business doesn't discourage her.)

2 comments:

MOM said...

I had already anticipated Amanda's disappointment with prospective "customers." I can't tell you how many times I felt the same way (and still do) when my
ideas didn't pan out. But would you really want strangers coming to your barn? I'd be very concerned
for the present and future, but you don't want to try to explain that to kids either.

We have something similar at school--TAKE ONE and LEAVE ONE. Maybe Amanda could suggest that to her teacher. Librarians do lots more than check out books and Amanda already has some of these skills and inclinations. Ask Eliana. It is a noble calling.

Sarah H said...

That is very sweet, Carrie. Actually, it could work as an exchange between friends. :)