Sunday, October 16, 2011

An Ideal Fall Day

Yesterday was the perfect afternoon for a trip to R&C Farms in Scituate. I had gotten half price admission tickets to the Corn Maze, so after Liam woke up from his nap, we headed out.

For some reason, I thought they had advertised a 70 acre Corn Maze. I think the farm itself was 70 acres; the Corn Maze was held on just 3 acres. Oops, just a slight difference! (Just this past week, there was a news story about a family with a 3 week old baby that actually got lost in a Corn Maze and had to call the police from their cell phone.)

Ready or not, here we come!

I took a picture of the maze layout, just in case.


As it turned out, we didn't need it at all because we had Eva, chief navigator, with us.

We were in and out of that maze in maybe 6 minutes. We all wanted to go through it again and this time we took turns deciding which turns to make. Eva became frustrated with us, insisting that we were "going the wrong way!" She must have been born with some sort of internal GPS system! The second time through the maze took slightly longer.

Amanda wanted to take some pictures for her blog. She may actually have a future in photo journalism!

On our way out, we each picked an apple. Dave chose Gala while the rest of us chose Honeycrisp. He may have regretted his decision because the Honeycrisp apples were out of this world. And at just 50 cents a pound, I asked myself later why I hadn't thought to buy a few pounds worth! What was I thinking?!

Our local grocery store only carries a few varieties of apples, not Honeycrisps either, and they are usually around $2.00/lb. I am seriously contemplating a return trip this week to stock up for our fruit bowl. (Speaking of which, ever since I bought a trifle bowl, which I keep filled with fruit, the kids are eating more fruit than ever. Plus, it makes a nice centerpiece.)

We still had a few hours of daylight left so we spent some time at the Purple Dinosaur playground in Scituate. I hadn't taken the kids there in years and they were glad to return.


It is a perfect playground for Liam as all of the equipment seems geared toward the 3 and younger crowd. The last time we had been there, there were a few of the yellow and red Cozy Coupes, which are always a hit with young kids. Yesterday it seemed like a ride-on toy graveyard!

It was as if everyone had discarded their children's outgrown toys. (Dave said it gave him a few ideas of what to do with all of ours in the next year or two.) It was actually really nice because it eliminated fighting over the best toys.


In the sandbox area, there were more yellow dump trucks and backhoes than you could shake a stick at. Between the lawn mower, wagon, and various bikes, Liam was in toddler heaven!



And the perfect ending to the day? Amanda finally lost Tooth #6.


But I will let her tell that story on her own blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three years ago when I visited you during that horrible spring weather
(rain and temps in the 40s, we went to the Purple Dinosaur. Big improvement in the toys since then.

The thought of finding my way through a maze (other than the pencil and paper kind) disturbs me.
Now that I know about Eva's scouting prowess, I'd try it with her.

Sarah H said...

Sounds like a great day! And Honeycrisp apples for 50 cents a pound - that's crazy! You need to go back. No other apple compares to Honeycrisp in my book. :) I tried a new recipe for German apple cake (apfel kuchen) with them and it was so yummy!