
I got Liam a potty seat a few weeks ago, since he suddenly started showing interest in the little portable one we have.
He had sat on it a few times and chuckled.. but never did anything.
Until Wednesday night, which happened to be his 20 months birthday.
Right before his bedtime shower, I put him on the potty in hopes that he wouldn't "go" in the shower, like he usually does! So I put him on and immediately, he went!
We all cheered like crazy for him and gave him his potty reward: a chocolate chip.
Then I put him into the shower with the girls... and he "went" again. Ugh!
The next day, he kept going into the bathroom and saying,"Potty, potty!" Then he would stand in front of the cupboard and say,"Chock-it!"
So I thought, what the heck... we'll give it a try. I put him on the potty and he went without even pausing.
Later in the morning, I put him on again. Same thing.
A third time that day, I put him on. Success again. 3 for 3! Wow, I was pleasantly surprised!
Before his nap, Eva called,"Mama, Liam took his shorts off!" I went into the room and sure enough, not only were his shorts off, but he had taken half of his diaper off too. Oh no, I was not ready for this.
So I put him on the potty. He sat there, staring down at his lap, waiting for something to happen. When nothing came out, he looked up at me with a concerned look and said,"Uh oh, boke it..." (As in, "broke it.") Eva and I couldn't help but laugh.
He's got the whole routine down - close the lid, flush, step up to the sink to wash hands, and wait patiently at the cupboard for "chock-it."
We have had other successes since that day, although I haven't been as diligent about putting him on since I have been preparing for our weekend Open Houses. Once things calm down, I will get into a better routine and see if he really is interested in doing this for real. I am crossing my fingers that he will be a fast learner like his sisters!
1 comment:
Great story! I saved it for my Writing Workshop - personal narrative unit.
Post a Comment