Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Making Turkeys

This morning, the girls and I worked on a craft project that I remembered doing each year in elementary school. This is something I plan to do with them each year, because I want them to understand gratitude and the true meaning of "Thanksgiving." It will be fun to see how their answers change as they grow older, and truly understand what being thankful means.

Today, we made construction paper turkeys and decorated them with "gratitude" feathers.

I am including both photos AND video today, so click 'PLAY' to watch the short videos.


Amanda trying to help Eva glue the legs on her turkey



Amanda "writes" what she is thankful for




Putting on the finishing touches

And finally, the results...

Amanda's turkey: "I am thankful for..."
- Princesses
- Me and my family
- Disney dress-up
- that Mama always plays with me
- Brady, Ella and Taylor (her cousins)
- for being happy.

Since Eva can't express her own thoughts yet, I asked Amanda,"If Eva could talk, what do you think she would be thankful for?" This is how she answered, as Eva's spokesperson.

Eva's Turkey: "I am thankful for..."
- My crib
- My big sister
- Coloring
- Apples
- Flowers

After we finished the turkeys, the girls had a mid-morning snack of cranberry bread while I read them a book about Thanksgiving and what it means to be 'thankful' for something.

*
On a related note, Amanda is learning about Native Americans in her Preschool class. When I asked her about what she had learned so far, she answered,"Native Americans tiptoe and hunt for bears."

Then on Monday, they painted tee pees, and each child had to think of a "Native name" for themselves.

One little boy called himself "Little Buffalo." One boy was "King Woolly Bear." One little girl was "Princess Bunny Rabbit."

Apparently Amanda decided that her 'Native name' would be "Princess Leia."

Yes, as in "Star Wars." Daddy would be so proud.

*
This is a great time of year to be doing inside things like crafts and baking and we are definitely getting into the Thanksgiving spirit around here. I have another fun craft planned for the kids one of these days. I just need to find a free day to do it!

Whenever it happens, I'll be sure to take pictures and tell you all about it.

4 comments:

j tana ford said...

Someone needs to come mop me up. I just melted into a puddle of cuteness. Adorability overload. Their thankful feathers are superb. Superb.

And Princess Leia. Ha!
Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
Both Anya and I LOVED this post! She wants to watch the videos of Amanda and Eva all the time now. :) We were inspired by the "gratitude" turkeys and made our own the other day. I will send you a few photos.

Kev said...

I am speechless. Simply touching. I LOVE the video of the girls. You are such a good mommy Carrie.

Kev said...

P.S. Sounds like Amanda has a bit of a British accent - love it!