One of the reasons I love my job is the flexibility it offers me. I can create my own schedule, and if I need some time off, it doesn't have to have it approved by management. I am the management.
However, in the 14 years that I have been teaching, I have only canceled lessons a handful of times. Today was one of those rare days when it was essential that I take a Sick Day. It was not due to my own sickness, but rather, to take care of Amanda and Eva.
Eva has been sick for a few days now, with classic symptoms of the common cold. Runny nose, sneezing, a bad cough, and general crankiness. I have learned that the secret to dealing with sick kids is the almighty vaporizer, so I plugged it in as soon as the first telltale symptoms reared their ugly head.
To her credit, Eva has been a real trooper, and although she's not out of the woods yet, she's doing much better today. (That means I've only had to wipe her nose every 15 minutes, versus every 2 minutes.) In any case, it's good to see her energy slowly coming back.
Amanda, unfortunately, is at the other end of the sick train. When she fell asleep late yesterday afternoon while watching "Little Bear," I knew something was up. Our kids don't watch much television, and it is very unusual for them to be anything but attentive and alert if the TV is on. To miss a favorite TV show was a sure sign that Amanda had fallen prey to "the sickness." (Her words, not mine.)
Sure enough, when she awoke from her short nap, she was burning up.
Amanda, much like her daddy, doesn't get sick very often, but when she does, it is severe. She may get a case of the sniffles or a cough here and there, but it takes an awful lot to keep her down. Today was one of those rare days.
Predicting what was around the corner, I had canceled all of my lessons the night before. Upon waking up this morning, it was a relief knowing that I had an entire day to do nothing but make my daughters feel comfortable and content.
Amanda slept horribly last night, and cried for me nearly every half hour. Under normal circumstances, I would have been a bear after being deprived of sleep, but today I was forced into the role of "Super Mom."
Having no choice, I put on my 'crisis mode belt' and embraced my role for the day.
Now some of you may be surprised at this, but I am actually quite good in the nurturing department. (I am picturing some of you saying,"You??? Nurturing???") But when the need arises, I slip into that role flawlessly. It's almost as if I put blinders on and become ultra-focused on whatever is being asked of me.
And so, after giving the girls breakfast and a hot, steamy shower, I came up with a few ideas to make the day more pleasant for all of us.
I told Amanda about the Reading Marathon we had in Elementary School, and she seemed mildly excited about having our own marathon. (On a typical day, she would have been entirely enthusiastic about such an idea.) I also suggested a quick trip to the library for some new books and maybe a few videos.
And the greatest part of our Sick Day? The promise of milkshakes. When Amanda was sick at this time last year, Grandma Jo saved the day with her homemade pumpkin milkshakes, and it was the only thing Amanda would eat. It seemed like a fantastic idea.
By the time we got home from the library, Amanda had already fallen asleep in the car, despite it being a mere five minute drive. Once Amanda got resettled on the couch, she requested some music... so I put in a Bach harpsichord CD. It lulled her to sleep within minutes. I was shocked!
Amanda's impromptu nap provided me with some rare one-on-one time with Eva. We cuddled, read books, and played with puzzles. We even had a nice, quiet lunch together before it was time for Eva's own nap. It was great for both of us to have some rare bonding time.
While Eva napped, it was Amanda's turn for some one-on-one time. We snuggled under a blanket, watched "Caillou" and read every single one of the 15 books we had just checked out from the library.
Finally it was time for the 'grand finale' of our Sick Day: "Cinderella" and milkshakes.
I popped the "Cinderella" DVD in while Amanda got cozy on the couch and Eva busied herself with all of the unclaimed toys. As I got up to prepare the milkshakes, I glanced at Amanda, and to my surprise, she was fast asleep.
For Amanda to fall asleep during "Cinderella" is unheard of. It is a sure sign that the germs are wreaking havoc on her little body, and I hate that I can't do anything about it.
I decided to skip the milkshakes, and instead gave Eva a frozen chocolate chip cookie. (She's teething again, so for her, this was probably better than a milkshake.)
Right about now, my first piano student of the day would be arriving. I am so relieved to know that I don't have to hand my sick kids over to a babysitter.
At times like this, no one can comfort you like your own mother can... and I was only too happy to be the privileged one. It feels good to know that at least for one day, I am the one with all the "super powers." For today, I was the most important person in their lives.
It felt really good to just let everything else go for once. Rather than catching up on housework, etc., I was allowed to focus all of my attention on the girls.
I did just one load of laundry. I only washed dishes once. The meals I prepared were very simple, since no one had much of an appetite anyhow. I put on my comfiest clothes, and ignored the rest of the world. As far as I was concerned, nothing else mattered.
In a way, it was the equivalent of my own Sick Day and it was just what I needed.
Maybe if the girls feel better tomorrow, and we can have a second chance at "Cinderella" and milkshakes... after I catch up on all of the dishes and laundry that got neglected today.
2 comments:
"For today, I was the most important person in their lives." Carrie, you are the most important person for them EVERY day! but especially on a day like today. I hope everyone is feeling much better tomorrow and you can enjoy your milkshakes and Cinderella!
MY favorite part: "...so I put in a Bach harpsichord CD." Of course you did. That's awesome.
I agree with Christina- you are their most favorite person every day. What a wonderful way to spend an otherwise difficult and gloomy day. The girls are so lucky to have you.
Post a Comment