Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our 44th President: Barack Obama

Barack Obama: Our 44th President

On Tuesday, November 4, 2008, history was made. We, as Americans, elected our very first African American president.

Although I grew weary of constantly hearing about the color of Obama's skin, I do accept that it was a ground-breaking event for an African American to win a presidential election.

With that said, as a parent of young children, this historical first is very exciting to me. I want Amanda and Eva to grow up in a world free of prejudice, inequality, discrimination and intolerance. Additionally I hope they will be open-minded free-thinkers; leaders, not followers. I trust that my daughters will understand the importance of elections and exercise their right to vote. And with any luck, I hope they will finally see a woman as President at some point during their lifetime. Last night's political victory is definitely a step in the right direction.

Here are some photos from all around the world in response to yesterday's election results.

* *

Supporters of Barack Obama erupted into song and dance around the world Wednesday after he was elected as new U.S. president.

A sand sculpture of Barack Obama on the beach in Puri, India


Extended family members of U.S. Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama react as election results come in, at the family's homestead in Kogelo village, Kenya. Africans organized all-night parties to watch the U.S. election results roll in, determined to celebrate a moment in history as Barack Obama tries to become the first black American president.


And here in our own country...

Amal Abou-Arabi, poll worker, left, speaks with Charlene Shannir, right, as she helps her mother Rose Saleh, 79, center, cast her ballot on election day.

* *

And finally, an excerpt from Barack Obama's Acceptance Speech:

"America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves – if our children should live to see the next century... what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time – to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth – that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can."

Amen to that.

Now that this monumental first has happened, let's move on and forget about the color of our President-Elect's skin... and get back to the important matters at hand.

This is our moment. This is our time.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Well said. I do agree that this is an important step for our country. But I also believe that giving it this degree of importance actually lessens its power.

Kev said...

Great post, as always.

Courtney said...

Couldnt have said it better. This is our time to change to grow and to make our children's futures bright.

Anonymous said...

I am just THRILLED about Obama's victory. Well-written entry!