Monday, January 5, 2009

At last... a railing!

There are still a few lingering projects that remain before we can consider the barn renovations complete. The hand rail going up the circular staircase is one of them, and the railing that overlooks the staircase is another.

I am extremely happy to report that one of those projects is nearing completion! Dave worked on it all weekend with the help of his brother, and here are the photos.

The railing overlooking the staircase

Here is the end of Phase 1. (It looks pretty complete to me, but Dave assures me there are three phases.)
Looking over the top of the railing...

When Dave excitedly told me I had to sit in the chair and check out the view, Amanda decided she needed a turn first.

Here is what you would see if you were sitting in "the chair."

Very nice, eh? I hope one day I have the opportunity to just sit in "the chair!" What a neat little reading nook that would be, but I don't imagine that happening any time in the near future.

I am very lucky to have a husband who can tackle these projects, and also be such a perfectionist when it comes to his work. I am awfully proud of my guy and I really can't wait to see the finished product, including the "Bird Cage" handrail he is promising.

It will be a huge accomplishment for us to officially finalize these remaining projects. Thanks for letting me share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful final product! It took quite a bit of engineering and patience. Good job, Dave and Jay!

Clint

Christina said...

OMG! Do you know that a spiral staircase has always been one of my dreams! Wow, it's awesome!