Saturday, March 7, 2009

First Bike Ride of the Season

As far as I'm concerned, there are two sure signs of spring.

#1 - Dairy Queen is open.

Check.

We drove past the other day and sure enough, the OPEN sign was hanging over the storefront. You can bet we'll be there in the next few weeks, enjoying a cone and watching the kids at the Skate Park.

#2 - Dave took his bike out of storage.Check.

One of the things Dave and I really enjoy is going on bike rides together. There's nothing quite like riding on the back roads through the pine forests, past serene ponds and smelling the refreshing aroma of nature.

We took our first ride of 2009 this afternoon. It was exhilerating, albeit a little chilly. The last time we took the bike out was October 2008... and the temperature was probably the same then as it was today. But for some reason, when it seemed nearly unbearable in October, the ride was just fine today. I guess it's all relative.

We made a pitstop at Frankie D's, in hopes of having some much craved burnt ends. Burnt Ends are the barbequed ends of a beef brisket and we've learned that one must arrive early if you want them.
Unfortunately, today was not our lucky day... so we settled for chili and clam chowder. After some fun conversation, it was back on the bike for a brisk ride home.

Tonight we're sparking up the grill for some hamburgers with the family. Dave is buying charcoal at this very minute, which is yet another sign of the upcoming season.

Tonight we "spring ahead" with the Daylight Savings' changing of the clocks. Dare I say that winter is gone?

Can you tell how anxious I am for the days of more sunlight and warmer temperatures? It's been a long winter and I am more than ready to unpack the boxes of shorts, T shirts and bathing suits.

Yeah, I probably just jinxed it, didn't I?

2 comments:

Christina said...

I would love to go for a bike ride like that! Sounds like a wonderful time. It's funny to me that DQ is seasonal there - it's open year round here!

j tana ford said...

You did! You did jinx it! It snowed~! But at least the snow didn't stick and it's warmer today than it was yesterday. Woo-HOO!

I agree with you on every observation on this list.