Saturday, March 21, 2009

Goodbye, Chimney!

The chimney is gone! Hooray!

The entire thing was taken down today and I must say, I am very impressed that Dave, Jay and Bill finished the job in one day! They even replaced the shingles on the roof, vacuumed up all of the brick dust... and came very close to filling the dumpster with all of the debris.

There are still holes in Eva's ceiling and floor that will need to be repaired, so Eva will be sleeping in Amanda's room until that's finished. (I cannot begin to express how excited Amanda is about the new arrangement. She was practically bouncing off the walls when we told her they'd be having sleepovers for a few days. Now, an hour after we said goodnight to them, they are finally quiet!)

We have decided to pull up the carpet in Eva's room and possibly replace it with wood laminate flooring.

Here are some photos of the day's work.

Before: Eva's Room with Chimney
After: Eva's Room without Chimney

Looking up at the ceiling in Eva's room where the chimney used to be

Looking down through the floor in Eva's room.
You can see straight down to the kitchen floor in this photo.

It's amazing how much bigger Eva's bedroom seems, now that the chimney is gone! Removing it was an idea that we had been tossing around for a long time, but just couldn't justify the added time and labor it would take. Once we found that the chimney was crumbling, we had no choice.

Now that it's done, I am very glad that we were forced into that decision!

While the men worked, I took the girls out on an all-day adventure. What fun we had!! More on that in another post...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose someone has already pointed out that with the girls in one room, it leaves you with an empty bedroom (or nursery)?

MOM, with tongue-in-cheek

Lindsay family said...

Ha ha, Mom...

The room sharing is temporary. It took an hour for them to finally stop talking last night and get to sleep!

Christina said...

LOL at Mom's comment!!

What a big difference that makes! And whata big job. It's sad to see all your lovely painting gone, but it really does open the room up.