Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Homemade BBQ Sauce

Anyone who knows me is probably familiar with my fondness for barbeque sauce.

Dave still teases me about the time he tried to woo me, early on in our relationship, by by inviting me over to his place for dinner. He had gone out of his way to choose an expensive cut of steak, which he grilled to perfection.

When he served it, I asked if he had any barbeque sauce. Apparently he was quite insulted and has never let me forget it. I guess it's just one of my many quirks.

With that said, I don't think I will ever buy the bottled barbeque sauce again. After an extensive internet search, I found a recipe that had potential and then tweaked it to fit my taste.

It's sweet; it's sour; it's tangy; it's spicy. It's perfect. And it's better than any store bought sauce, believe me.

I just made a batch of it and have 3 pounds of boneless spareribs marinating in the refrigerator. Tomorrow night's dinner is going to be a real treat: BBQ ribs (cooking all day in the crockpot), coleslaw and sweet potato fries.

Homemade Barbeque Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tpsp Frank's hot sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Whisk all together... and serve with the meat of your choice.

Just don't use it on your steak. Or else.

2 comments:

j tana ford said...

I love that Dave cooks you this great steak and you ask for BBQ sauce. Ha HA! I am totally going t try out that recipe. Thanks Carrie!

Anonymous said...

What brand of catsup do you prefer
for this sauce? I've been looking
for a better sauce recipe since I lost mine. Do you have a good
recipe for hamburger BBQs?