Yesterday Amanda visited the dentist for the very first time.
She was pretty nervous when I first told her we'd be going, so I checked out a few books from the library. I figured it would ease her nerves if she knew what a dentist's office looked like, what sort of tools they'd use, etc.
The night before the appointment, she actually seemed a little bit excited about going! (Maybe the books helped after all!) She picked out a "fancy dress" and laid out her outfit on the floor before she crawled into bed for the night.
On the ride to the dentist, it was very quiet in the backseat. That's rare... so I knew Amanda was probably thinking about it. I told Amanda not to worry, that I would go in with her if she wanted me to or she could go in alone. She immediately said she wanted to go in alone. She wanted to prove that she was a brave, big girl. I figured she'd change her mind when the time came.
After filling out paperwork while the girls explored all of the toys in the waiting room, the hygienist called Amanda's name. And sure enough, Amanda told me to stay in the waiting room; she would go alone. As it turned out, the hygienist needed to ask me a few questions so I did go back to the room with them... but reassured Amanda that I would leave after a few minutes.
As I left the tiny room, I couldn't believe how grown up Amanda looked, sitting there in that dentist's chair. I went back to the waiting room with Eva, where I read book after book.
Everything was going great! I didn't hear any crying or screaming, except from a child who was not my own! After about 15 minutes, the hygienist appeared and asked me to come back to the room. As we walked, she gushed about how mature Amanda was, how she was a "wise, old soul", and that was she was completely cooperative. I was very proud to hear this!
As I walked into the room, Amanda was sitting proudly in the chair wearing a colorful lei around her neck. A reward for being such a good patient, I was told. Amanda showed off her mini toy shark and blinking sparkly toothbrush, which "blinks for a minute and you keep brushing until it stops."
Of course when Eva saw all of the goodies, she wanted a turn in the chair. The hygienist was nice enough to give Eva a pink frog, so all was good.
The dentist then came in for the exam, and I was shocked at how Amanda immediately opened her mouth and let the dentist poke and prod with her tools. There was no coercing, no pleading... just 100% cooperation. Dr. Joy, was very soft spoken and patient, and spoke directly to Amanda. I could tell that Amanda trusted her right away, and I knew I had chosen the right pediatric dentist.
Dr. Joy announced that Amanda's teeth all looked good; no cavities! Although she did express concern over the crowding in Amanda's mouth, and said that she may need braces down the road.
On the way out, Amanda said,"That was so much fun! Can we come back every year?"
She was very happy when I told her we'd be back in 6 months. Now I am debating whether or not to book an appointment for Eva at the same time. I was told that 2 1/2 is the ideal age for the first visit. Oops, I guess waiting until almost age 4 was a bit late!
I'm just glad that the first appointment is out of the way and that it was a positive experience!


No comments:
Post a Comment