Monday, June 15, 2009

The Last Day of Preschool

Today was Amanda's last day of Preschool.

For most children, and maybe even most teachers, the last day of school is a happy and exciting thing that one looks forward to.

This was not the case with Amanda. In the weeks leading up to "The Last Day", Amanda repeatedly told us she did not want to have vacation... that she didn't want Preschool to be over.

To help her with the transition to summer, we created special gift bags for her teacher, Mrs. McCarthy, and the assistant, Mrs. Moore. Amanda also made a card and wrote a letter to Mrs. McCarthy. She also insisted that we pick a bouquet of fresh flowers from the yard.

Making a card for Mrs. McCarthy

Amanda's finished card: (Click to make it bigger if you want to read it.)

Before we left for school, I snapped a quick photo of Amanda in the same place that we took her First Day of School photo.

Amanda posing with her gift and bouquet

As I picked Amanda up from school, I watched the children come out of the classroom, one by one, as Mrs. McCarthy gave each child a hug and a final goodbye. As I peered into the classroom, I could see Amanda sitting cross-legged on the floor waiting for her turn to be dismissed... with tears already in her eyes.

By the time Mrs. McCarthy called Amanda's name, it had escalated to more tears and a quivering lip. Mrs. McCarthy presented each parent with a book, documenting the entire school year through photos. I had no idea we were going to be getting this and it was so special. It will undoubtedly be a keepsake and I am grateful for it.

Amanda's tearful goodbye to Mrs. McCarthy

The first page of Amanda's Preschool book

By the time we got to the sidewalk, Amanda was all out sobbing. Some of her classmates who were also on the way to their cars gave hugs to Amanda, asking if she was all right. It is so neat to see the bond that the eight classmates have created. Their teacher had commented that it is rare to witness such close companionship in a 3 year old classroom.

After a solid 15 minutes of trying to console Amanda, she had calmed down enough for us to cuddle and look through her homemade yearbook. Amanda kept saying in the saddest voice,"I really miss Mrs. McCarthy."

Shortly after we finished, I happened to look out the window and saw a strange car in the parking lot. As if by some miracle, Mrs. McCarthy was walking up the brick path holding a Ziploc bag of Amanda's spare clothes. Apparently she had forgotten to send them home with Amanda and made a special trip to our house to return them.

It was exactly what Amanda needed because she was able to give Mrs. McCarthy a few more hugs on her home turf.

That surprise visit made all the difference in the world, and it just goes to show how lucky we are to have found such a special Preschool... and such a special teacher.

It's no wonder that if you ask Amanda what she wants to be when she grows up, she replies with,"A teacher and a Mama."

And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's exactly what she grows up to be.

No comments: