Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summer Road Trip

As most of you know by now, we are planning an extensive road trip to Wisconsin this summer.

I have been reluctant to post the actual dates and details because our plans have a tendency to change and we are still waiting for Dave's vacation time to be approved.

But assuming everything is okay with that, it looks like we will be leaving home on Friday, June 26th. Dave figures the driving time to be 24 hours, so we will aim to break that up into three eight hour days.

We will be heading west and then north through the Berkshires, then upstate New York through the Adirondacks. I have booked lodging for the first night in Lake Placid, NY. Dave suggested we stay for two nights since we have never been there and that was fine with me. It looks absolutely beautiful and it will be the perfect way to kick off our family vacation!

I managed to get us a lakeside room at Wildwood on the Lake, so the girls will be able to swim in the indoor pool or in the lake. The Ausable Chasm looks like a fun place to check out, with its scenic waterfalls, or maybe High Falls Gorge. The WILD Center Natural History Museum looks like a sure bet for us too. Then again, there's always the Olympic Museum. Choices, choices...

After Lake Placid, we are planning to head north through Canada and cross back into the US at Sault Saint Marie. We probably won't be doing much sightseeing once we leave Lake Placid. We'll plan to do one more night in a motel, hopefully one with a pool so the girls will get worn out, and then we'll make the push for our final destination.

Assuming everything goes as planned, we should be arriving in Wisconsin on Monday, June 29th. We will probably stay for 10-12 days, and then head back home. We haven't figured out the details of what we'll do during our time in Wisconsin, but we'll work on that once we've arrived.

I am crossing my fingers that the girls prove to be good car travelers. I have a box of activities that I'm putting together, and of course my iPod will be stocked with plenty of kids' songs and fairytale audiobooks.

I hope we'll make some great family memories... and provide me with some good blog material.

3 comments:

j tana ford said...

May I recommend Neil Gaiman's Newbury Award Winning tale: The Graveyard Book?

It may be a little on the spooky side but you and Dave might enjoy it as much or more than the kiddos.

You can sample everything (Yes! the entire book!) in this video set at The GraveYard Video Tour (http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx)

It's outstanding, really.

Anyway, have fun on your trip and go with the certainty that I am very, very jealous of your future adventure.

MOM said...

It sounds like the best part of your trip will be spent
outside Wisconsin! That's just as well. Take advantage
of everything you can now. On the return trip you probably won't feel like stopping.

Grandma Sifransky said...

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Hope to see you, but I know your time here is precious. My girls are huge Amanda and Eva fans. They are always asking if we can see what they are doing. A real life visit would be fun.
Godspeed.