Sunday, March 13, 2011

The best (and easiest) Alfredo Sauce Recipe

I always hit up the reduced bins at our local supermarket... starting with "Reduced Produce", making my way to the "Reduced Deli", then "Reduced Bakery" and finally "Reduced Dairy."

This weekend I made out really well and among other bargains, I found Philadelphia Cream Cheese on sale for $.75. (This usually costs around $1.79 per brick so quite a deal.)

I bought a bunch and froze them, thinking that I could always use them for baking.

Tonight we are having eggplant parmesan raviolis and string beans, and I decided to try making an alfredo sauce out of the cream cheese. I added a sprinkle of nutmeg and a handful of fresh chopped parsley to my sauce, which made it perfect. This is definitely a recipe I will be making again.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1855,140166-232207,00.html

Tonight's meal might be as good as last night's meal, when Dave made deep-fried haddock (using tempura batter) and tempura squash and zucchini. I told him if he had added some beer to the tempura batter, it would have rivaled Wisconsin's Friday night fish fries. He suggested making Fridays "fish night" here, and I sincerely hope he was serious about that!

2 comments:

mom said...

I've never thought of freezing cream cheese, but I will now. I love your Friday Fish Fry idea.

Lindsay family said...

Mom,
Just be warned... When it thaws, it is crumbly. It's fine if you're just going to melt it, but for anything where you need thick consistency, it might not work.