Sunday, October 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Josh!


My brother, Josh, turns 34 today!! Happy Birthday to you!

There are several things in this picture that make me smile: the gold chair, the striped tube socks, the high-top Reeboks, the friendship bracelets, the farmer tan, and the good 'ole DeForest Times Tribune. It's like peering into a time capsule. I love it.

1976: Josh (age 2) and Carrie (age 3 1/2) with our cat, Soot.

This is a picture of Josh and I, taken just months before my youngest brother, Jared, was born. (Obviously this was before I was stricken with allergies, and it's probably the only photo on record in which I am holding an animal!) If I remember correctly, the cat's name was Soot, as in the black grime in your chimney. In any case, it's one of my favorite pictures.

When thinking about what to write, I came across this photo. I found it to be rather ironic, because I had been thinking about "the accident" shortly before I began paging through the album.

Josh and a childhood friend at the Milwaukee Museum

In July of 2004, I received a phone call in the middle of the night. It was the kind of call you hope you'll never get. On the other end was my youngest brother, telling me that Josh had been in a motorcycle accident and that the family was all gathered at the hospital. Details were sketchy.

And then I heard the worst part.

"He wasn't wearing a helmet."

That was odd, since as far as I knew, Josh had several helmets and I had never known him to ride without one. But apparently he was only going a short distance, and skipped that step. I guess we'll never know why.

The next day, I booked an airline ticket home, and stayed for about a week. Surprisingly, Josh hadn't broken any bones... but had suffered severe road rash and a brain injury. No one could confidently predict what, if any, lasting effects he would have.

Family and friends took turns visiting, rarely leaving his side. There was a constant flow of visitors, and in typical Josh fashion, he tried his best to socialize and make his guests feel welcome. (One evening, he very seriously and ever so politely asked the nurse if she could bring up some margaritas for his mother and sister.)

Yes, he was a bit out of it but at least he remembered his manners!

Another memory that I will never, ever forget is sitting on Josh's hospital bed, holding his hand while the doctor (errr.. medical student) removed the many staples from Josh's head. It appeared that this was the student's first time ever performing such a task. As if that wasn't horrible enough, it was all done without anesthetic. (For either of us!) To say that Josh is a tough guy, especially after that ordeal, would be a huge understatement. I honestly felt queasy just watching.

Josh was discharged from the hospital before I had to fly back to MA. We stocked his freezer with some meals so he wouldn't have to worry about cooking. Although we were all relieved that he was okay, we knew it would be a long road of recovery for him.

My own wedding was just two months away, planned for September 18, 2004. My whole family had booked flights to MA to witness Dave and I tie the knot. Now, however, it looked like we might be missing a family member.

I was very depressed about the possibility of Josh being absent. It just wouldn't be right to celebrate without him. How could we rejoice and be merry while Josh was home recovering alone in Wisconsin?

I prayed hard that Josh would be able to make the trip, and even did some bargaining. I didn't care what happened at the wedding (bad weather, unexpected glitches, you name it) - as long as it meant Josh could be there with us.

As it turns out, Josh was able to make the flight out for our wedding, and though he doesn't remember much of it, it was a joyous occasion.

Josh and I, the night before my wedding

Now, if you were one of the guests at our wedding, you undoubtedly remember Hurricane Ivan. And the torrential downpours and heavily gusting wind that arrived just in time for our outdoor wedding ceremony!

Well, now you know that it was probably just God holding up his end of the bargain!

My brothers and I: A very happy day!

It's a scary thing to wonder where we'd all be today if Josh hadn't come home from the hospital.

Happy Birthday, Josh!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

That is a great story of survival and what can bring a family together. I am so glad that he is ok and God help up his end of the bargain.

We have a lot of problems here in WV with people not wearing helmets. Especailly on ATVs. We have an average of 12 deaths a year due to people not wearing a helmet. It is very very sad.

Kev said...

Great post.

Anonymous said...

I remember all of that like it was yesterday, Carrie. Wow. Is he okay now and everything? We don't talk about our brothers much, so I don't remember anything recent.

Christina said...

Happy Birthday, Josh! The love of your family is so evident, and so beautiful. What an amazing story - hurricaine Ivan and all!

Anonymous said...

Hey, sis. I finally got off my butt and read your excellent blog. I SO WANT my own blog now!! I am so happy that my mean, snotty, holier-than-thou sister grew up to be beautiful, smart, and down to earth. I knew you had it in you! So about the pics.....you suck! Where the H did you get those? I can send you some "real-life" poses to replace those if you like. Thanks for the B-day nod.

Anonymous said...

I remember so little, if any, details of my accident. I do remember staples and you being there. I remember a Redsox hat and a Tim McGraw book?I know how lucky I am and how much I scared alot of people and I am grateful.Grateful for all the people who cared for me in so many ways.And grateful all my important "stuff" still works..well.Thanks.