Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dress-Up with Eva

The other morning, immediately after I had gotten the girls dressed for the day, Amanda said,"Mama, I want to play Dress Up. And I want Eva to dress up too."

As I have numerous time before, I absently responded "Nah, Eva doesn't really like to dress up." But then I thought about it. I had never actually asked Eva if she would like to dress up. Maybe I was depriving her of something she'd actually enjoy! Who am I to make that decision for her?

Besides, we didn't have any appointments or engagements that morning, thus no rush to get them back into "normal" clothes.

And so, I decided "Sure, why not?" and granted Amanda her simple request.

In retrospect, it was all worth it.

Amanda enthusiastically chose the Tinkerbell costume for Eva. I honestly didn't think Eva would be the least bit interested, but what do you know, she loved it! As I got her dressed, she willingly cooperated by putting her arms into the sleeves, all with an excited look on her face.

As soon as the the dress was on, she walked to the mirror and admired the shiny "jewels" that adorned the polyester costume.


At first, Eva seemed unsure of the role she was expected to play. But soon enough, she began to spin and twirl like a ballerina, just as she had seen her older sister do so many times before. Here she is, mid-twirl...


Upon first glance, it seemed odd to see Eva in such a feminine looking outfit. I am so used to seeing her in little denim jeans or velour "yoga" suits. It honestly reminded me of the photos you might see in those silly calendars, such as 'Cats in Santa Suits' or 'Dogs dressed as Clowns', for example. It just didn't seem natural to me. (See my previous "post" regarding their personality differences.)

But the more I watched Eva, the more I was able to see the pure enjoyment and acceptance that she was experiencing. She seemed thrilled to have been given the chance to play join in Amanda's "big girl game." Likewise, Amanda was overjoyed to have such a willing playmate. It's what she has wanted ever since Eva was born, constantly asking,"When is Eva going to be a 'big girl'?"

I have been noticing lately that their age difference (23 months) seems to be less and less . Before my very eyes, I am seeing Eva's transformation from "baby" to "big girl." As the gap closes, I am witnessing the sisterly bond growing stronger and stronger. It's exactly what I had been hoping for.


This series of photos shows what transpired next. I think it captures their playfulness quite well.


If only you could hear the shrieks of laughter that accompanied their fun! It is the one sound that can immediately melt away all of my worries and stress.

This instance was a learning experience for me. All too often, I am guilty of saying "no" to the girls before I really consider what is being asked of me. Inevitably, my "No" response will be followed by a pleading "Why not, Mama?" - and that never ends well. The next time an opportunity knocks, I will remind myself to evaluate the pro's and con's of my decision before I respond.

After all, who am I to stand in the way of a potential bonding moment between sisters?

Just look at what we might have missed.

No comments: