Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday on the Cape

I love spontaneous trips. You know, the kind where you just get in the car and drive, with no plans or expectations. Sunday was one of those "just get in the car and drive" days.

We ended up going to the Cape... (Cape Cod, for you out-of-state people)... with hopes of seeing some colorful foliage. Unfortunately the foliage was stuck in the "green" stage, not the beautiful orange, red and yellow mixture that we had expected.

It was a dreary, cold and windy day. Even the seagulls seemed to be frozen, suspended in mid-air.


This picture literally makes me shiver when I remember how cold it was! Frrrrr-eeeeee-zing!


On our drive, we stumbled upon a happy find: the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster.


In addition to the typical coastal exhibits, they have a great "hands-on" room for the kids. This area is complete with magnifying glasses, puzzles, a sandbox - and a giant picture window with binoculars for observing the wildlife at the bird feeders! What a treat for the kids!

Amanda was most excited about the live bee exhibit, and Grandpa Clint would have been proud. She intently looked for the queen, and knew just what to do with the smoker. (I guess all of those bedtime stories about "Grandpa Clint and the bees" really made an impact on her!)


Eva enjoyed playing in the sandbox more than anything else.


Downstairs, there was an extensive bird display as well as an Aquarium section.

The Aquarium was home to frogs, turtles, jellyfish, a lobster, starfish, crabs and lots of other sea creatures. Since it was off-season, we were pretty much the only visitors in the Aquarium, so it was almost like a private tour.


Look at how excited Amanda was when she turned the corner and found this assortment of shells.


At an admission price of $19.50 for the entire family, it couldn't be beat!

No traffic, no crowds, no hassle... plus free parking! You won't find
that in Boston!

All in all, it was a really fun day and definitely worthy of a return visit.


7 comments:

j tana ford said...

I love the bright pink jacket. perfect.

Courtney said...

That looks so beautiful...even if it was cold i bet it was worth the view. The museum looks very nice and the price is awesome. We were going to take the kids to the Aquarium in Tampa when we went last March but it was $12 per adult and $9 per kid, 2 and under were free. We will probably make the trip this year though!

Christina said...

Those landscapes are gorgeous! The desolate beach has a wild sort of beauty. And the bees exhibit sounds especially cool!

Kev said...

You're a very good writer - you articulate so well. I love the pictures. Eva has changed so much in just the 4 months since I have seen her...

Anonymous said...

I love the armchair tours featuring the girls as curiosity seekers. I'll try to show Grandpa
your blog this weekend. Wish you could join us for pizza and cake
for Josh's birthday.
MOM

Kev said...

P.S. Can I use some of your pictures on my blog?

Lindsay family said...

Kevin,
Sure! You are granted full usage rights. ;)