I typically have several books that I am reading at once; one by my bed, one in my "go everywhere bag" (aka diaper bag), and a few others scattered in various rooms of my living quarters. I feel lost if I don't have a book close at hand.
In a nutshell, books are my friends and I love to be surrounded by them.
I am pleased that both of my daughters seem to have inherited the "bookworm gene."
What’s their favorite toy? Usually it's a book.
In fact, as I am writing this, Amanda is in the next room reading a book to herself while Eva naps. It is completely quiet, except for the occasional sound of a page being turned. This is music to my ears. Another of my secret delights is hearing Amanda reading to Eva. Priceless...
When Eva was born, we tried to follow along the same path, although regrettably, not as diligently as we had with Amanda. Though Eva's interest grew a bit more gradually, she now fully embraces reading and always has to have a book in her hands when she's riding in the car.
"But I'm not tired. Just one more story... please?"
**
The reading gene could have been passed down through either my mother or my father, but it's probably a combination of the two, as they are both avid readers.
As a child, however, it was my mother who influenced me the most. (You would not believe the number of books she owns. Just ask my brothers, who have had to move those books numerous times!)
During the summers off from school, my mom would trudge my brothers and I to our town library, 10 miles away. I can remember entering the library on a hot, summer day... and scampering off to my favorite shelves, eager to choose a new stack of books. To me, happiness was (and still is!) a pile of unread books, just sitting there waiting for me. I think it's all about the anticipation of what is inside.
My mother is now a Reading Specialist, and it thrills me when I get an email from her with a book recommendation. Sometimes it is a book idea for me, but many times it's a book that one or both of the girls would like. Either way, her suggestions are always welcome.
I came across a list of "Top 100" books from The Big Read. (In case you haven't heard of it, The Big Read is 'an initiative of the National Endowment for the Arts designed to restore reading to the center of American culture.')
The Big Read predicts that the average adult has only read six of the following books.
* *
Top 100 Books
1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6 The Bible (...but not cover to cover)
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
12 Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
19 The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot21 Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
19 The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot21 Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34 Emma - Jane Austen
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
37.The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
34 Emma - Jane Austen
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
37.The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
38 Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48 The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48 The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz
57 A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz
57 A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
66 On the Road - Jack Kerouac
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
68 Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding
69 Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
68 Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding
69 Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
80 Possession - AS Byatt
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
87 Charlotte's Web - EB White
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
87 Charlotte's Web - EB White
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
To Amanda and Eva:I hope your excitement toward reading will continue to grow as you do. Before you are able to read independently, I promise to read for as long as and as often as you'd like. And I promise not to roll my eyes if you request "Mouse Soup" (Amanda) or "Goodnight Moon" (Eva) for the 80th time.
I promise to nurture your love and curiosity, and provide you with easy access to any books/libraries you desire throughout your entire childhood. And as you enter adolescence and adulthood, I hope that you will work your way through this "Top 100" list. That would truly make my heart swell with pride.
I'll be reading right along with you, and maybe one day, we can have our own book discussions and trade recommendations.
Just like I do now with your Grandma Jo.

8 comments:
That is so greatthat your kids love to read...sadly both my boys love books but still like to tear them up more than read them.
On to an even sadder part...i love to read but sadly to say (and embarassed) i have only read 11 of 100. Most of those were from Jr High or High School. I have read bits and pieces of others but i have seen a lot of the movies of these books. (i notice a lotf of the 100 have been made into movies)
BTW i borrowed this for my own blog i hope you do not mind. I wanted to pass on the word and a challenge to all!
I agree! Books are the best thing in the world. I don't read neearly as much anymore, but I do love it. And nothing makes me as happy as seeing that my girl has inherited that. I have read 29 of the books on the list. I'm not sure about it being "the 100 top books" tho...there are some I was glad to see on the list, but others that I don't feel belong, and so many others that go on my list of favorites but are missing from that list!
Carrie,
Can I just say that I love reading your blog. Every day, usually more than once, I go to your site, excited to see if you have posted something new, and elated when you have! You are such a beautiful writer. Unfortunately, this is about all I have to time read anymore, except to my own boys. I, too, have piles of books around my house, that someday I will get to. But none of mine are on the Top 100. I'm totally into Jennifer Weiner (thanks to you!!!!!!) and Emily Giffin, and tons of autobiographies. Now I just need the time!!!! :) Some day!
Hi Carrie,
I have to admit that I'm a bit embarrassed by the number of books on the list that I have/have not read. I tend to be a picky reader. Lately I have been reading more parenting books than anything - not sure it's helping, though. ;) One book that I read recently that I would highly recommend is The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - amazingly powerful and empowering at the same time!
Carrie-
You better get to work on that list! You're missing a lot of great books on there.
Sara- The Red Tent is AMAZING! I adamantly recommend that one as well.
Carrie, thanks for the compliments!
April, I know... I'm slacking. Bad me. :(
Sarah, I started to read The Red Tent when I was pregnant with Amanda - but never finished. I'll have to go back and restart. :)
Carrie,
The Red Tent would be a hard book to read when you are pregnant with your first child! It might be a little easier to get through now. :)
Post a Comment