Friday, February 20, 2009

Quack?

Today Amanda surprised me. Really surprised me.

Before putting Eva down for her afternoon nap, I chose a library book called "Truck Duck."
We had never read the book before, but paging through it, I could tell it would be a quick read. In other words, the perfect bedtime story.

I sat on the bedroom floor with Eva in my lap, Amanda seated next to me. I opened the cover of the book and saw this:
I said to Amanda,"What do you think this sign says?"

I figured she'd answer like most children would... and say "Stop."

Without missing a beat, Amanda calmly responded,"Quack."

She did this without even pausing to think.

I literally did a doubletake.

I then said,"Wow... that's right! How did you know it said quack, and not stop?"

She matter of factly said,"Because it starts with Q, U, A."

I am shocked. She really is getting it!

* *
In the meantime, Eva is starting to talk up a storm! She is putting 2 and 3 words together consistently, as in "Thank you, Daddy" or "Stop, Danda!" when Amanda is bothering her.

("Danda" is what she calls Amanda. It's also what she calls herself, either because she can't pronounce Eva... or because she really does think her name is Amanda.)

The other day she shook a container of fish food and spilled some of it.

She said,"Oh no, Daddy! Ook." (Meaning look.)

The other day, she impressed us by identifying animals by their actual name, rather than by the sound they make. Not too long ago, all dogs were all "Woo"; cats were "Meow"; sheep were "Baa."

Now, dogs are puppies. Cats are kitties. Sheep are... ship. (It took me a long time to realize that's what she was saying.)

Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder how they grew up so fast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's possible Amanda had already read the title, although there are a limited number of words with begin with Q-U-A!

Christina said...

Wow, I'm impressed! What a little smartie you have. Nadia's still working on recognizing "N!"